Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Home

I used to laugh when my parents would tell me that some day I would miss Wichita or someday I would want to live closer to home. The moment I graduated from KU I could not wait to explore the world on my own, and I did. I have met interesting people and lived in different places. I had become what I had always wanted to be "independent."

Looking back it seems hard to believe that I was that same girl. As I drove into Wichita Wednesday afternoon you would have thought I was about to reach Hawaii or my favorite store Nordstrom's. The pure excitement and familiarity ensued and it felt so good to be home.

I stayed with my mom and stepdad the first three days. My mom and I spent Friday together shopping and eating at our favorite restaurant Il Vicino. It was such a great day. Later that night we went to dinner and played Mad Gab with my little brother and stepdad.

Saturday morning I ate breakfast and then headed over to my dads house. The first thinng my dad says every time I see him is "hi Rachie." I used to find it annoying, however now, it is somewhat endearing.

The time at my dad's house was great. I stayed up and watched Goonies with Grace all the while trying to remember what it was like to be 13 years old...seems like so long ago. The next day my family swam, including our dog Missy.

Throughout the trip I also got a chance to catch up with old high school friends. It was so fun to see what God has done in their lives and the wonderful women they have become.

I left Tuesday morning to head back to Texas. As I drove down the long gravel road over looking the lake at my dad's house, tears streamed down my face. Not tears of sadness, but tears of longing to be closer to home. It's amazing how your thoughts and feelings can change when you begin a family of your own. I had always envisioned my parents spending a great deal of time with their grand kids. And by living two states away I feel somehow that I am robbing my parents of this. Maybe, if it's God's will, we will one day live closer to my family.

As I converse with my parents it is apparent to me that they are no longer the 35 year olds that I had always viewed them as. They are getting older, and now more than ever I am yearning to spend time with them and to let them know how much they mean to me. I used to feel sorry for myself that my parents had divorced, however, looking at the situation now, I have more people to love and to love me and my new family.

If you haven't done so recently tell your parents you love them and how much they mean to you. Some of this emotion is partially due to being pregnant, the other is part of growing up and realizing what is truly important, and that is relationships. Relationships with God, your family, and those you love. I never want to look back and wish I had told someone how much they meant to me, however in some cases words are not enough and I need to start showing as well as telling.

3 comments:

  1. I can totally sympathize with your feelings. Being pregnant and 18 hrs from my family is something I never imagined happening. I always try to look at the bright side and think how lucky I am to be in such a technological age. So grateful for Skype and cell phones and flip cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt the SAME way when I went back to Wichita for our 10-year reunion last year. I couldn't wait to leave and now I've been around the world at this point, yet all I'd love to do is click some ruby red slippers and head "home." It's amazing how your perspective changes with time and the addition of a little one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delancy says hi,
    Your blog is always interesting and keeps everyone informed.
    You handle life with kindness and love which will bring a rich harvest of the same to you and yours.
    God bless you, Rob and Luke.
    Sounds like you had a great time visiting.

    ReplyDelete