Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Adoption: When, Where, and Why

Why adopt? Such a simple question, with so many answers...seems almost easier to respond with "why not." When I felt the call to adopt one of the quotes I read was from David Platt. He is a pastor, writer, speaker, and adopter. This quote really spoke to me, because It. Is. Truth. “We learned that orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They are easier to ignore before you see their faces. It is easier to pretend they’re not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes…” – David Platt, “Radical”

 This quote is one of several that spurred me to research and read more about adoption. The more I began to read, the more I discovered that God was calling me to take the adoption journey. Below are several other reasons why we feel called to adopt.

Why?


  • I feel called by The Lord. Enough said. ;)
  • It's Biblical.  

"You are the helper of the fatherless. LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more." Psalms 10:14,17-18

"Father to the fatherless, defender of widows — this is God, whose dwelling is holy. God places the lonely in families."
Psalms 68:5-6
  • I have a desire for more children, but due to two high risk pregnancies, I do not want to be on bed rest again for months.or the whole pregnancy, with two toddlers running amok. I could have a third child, BUT I feel that due to my health, this is yet another sign from God that He intended our family to adopt.
  • I am pro-life, and would love to offer a child a chance at life, whom would have otherwise been aborted.

Where?

Rob and I have decided to go the domestic adoption route. We are using a consultant whom reaches out to many agencies, that are located in adoption friendly states.


When?

This summer we will be traveling and settling into our new home. There's work to be done in and around the house etc... And add that to the fact that we have two boys under three years old, is very busy.  Our goal is to  start looking for a match at the end of November or the beginning of 2014. By then, Luke will be three and Jake will be nearly 2 years old. 

That's our update for now! I am also starting to look for used baby items since I donated all of our baby stuff to a pregnancy crisis center several months ago, ;) So if you know of anyone selling gently used girl clothing, bumbos, swings, etc... please send me their info! The good thing is that it is garage sale season, so hopefully I can find some good deals. :)

Thank you again for the wonderful support and encouraging words! Please continue to pray for us as we continue to prepare our hearts and home for a sweet baby!

Blessings,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! So excited for you all - continuing to pray for you and the little one who will be joining your family! And we have plenty of girl clothes that we're happy to share when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete