Thursday, May 9, 2013

Adoption: Answering the Call

If there's one thing I know about God, it's that when He calls you either a.) follow immediately and obediently, or b.) He will push you, tug at your heart, and stir your soul until you listen. Scenario b.) occurred two weeks ago. I was lying in bed and could not sleep, which is rare for me. So as I lie awake in the middle of the night, I did what any other insomniac would do; I perused Facebook.;) While perusing I came across a blog and began to read. The blog was about adoption. I've read through many adoption blogs, but this was different. It was as if the blog was written for me. As I read through the blog I began to weep, like ugly girl, runny make-up red eyes weep. I wept for all of the orphans waiting for homes and I also wept for myself because I knew that God was tugging at my heart and I had selfishly been pushing the thought of adoption aside. I have been very happy with two boys, and the thought of adoption made me uncomfortable. But God spoke to me that night and the quote that still resonates with me today is this:

"We care for orphans, not because we are rescuers. We care for orphans because we have been rescued."-David Platt.

Amazing words. Words that will forever be etched into my soul. We are all orphans and because of Jesus Christ, we now have an eternal father in heaven. We are indeed the rescued.

I truly believe that the The Holy Spirit spoke to me that night, as I tearfully and humbly went to Rob whom was up late working and told him I felt called to adopt. He was thrilled, as he had been wanting another child, and praying my heart would change.

We are trusting in The Lord and know that He has planned a child for us, and we cannot wait to meet him/her!   Please pray, laugh, cry, and rejoice with us as we begin our search for our chosen child.

I am leaving you with one of my favorite bands, Third Day's videos, it makes me so excited to follow Christ's calling to adopt!

Blessings,
Rachel and Rob

3 comments:

  1. Praise the Lord! So happy for you guys - and for the little one that will find such a loving home and family. I'll be praying for you as you embark on this journey!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. We have some great Christian friends who adopted a little boy in Fort Worth. They might be able to give you some insight into what they experienced. Pray it over - and if you're interested, I'll be happy to make the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Christa! Appreciate the offer. :)

    ReplyDelete